If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Wensleydale Railway - Northallerton West

Discussion in 'Heritage railways & Centres in the Uk' started by s1m0nad, Nov 10, 2014.

1. northernsteam

northernsteam Member

Used to be in civil engineering, highway bridges.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have also seen this proposal and am in 2 minds about it. It does seem an opportunity for the railway to reduce its debts and gain a fund which will enable some c£200k of investment. It does seem that the buyer is fully supportive of the aims of the railway and intends to operate Aysgarth Station as a 'hobby' railway with some public access, I wonder if this would permit full access for through trains when WR extends through the site? A Memorandum of Understanding would be signed outlining both the parties intentions to cooperate in the delivery of mutually beneficial outcomes.
    If this buyer is genuine then it will indeed be a great help for the WR, however, there is always a chance that Aysgarth will remain with restricted access and the jewels will have been pawned and the ticket lost. This a question for the plc, not the Trust. meeting on 7th Sept at Leyburn.
    Obviously I am not party to any deeper info than other Trust members so my opinions are purely my own, which explains why they are confused, I am not urging any action in any vote.

AndyY likes this.
  2. AndyY

AndyY New Member

I can but agree, having just received the AGM notice today. 'Gentlemen's agreements' can and do so easily go awry with the passage of time. I can see a Memorandum of Understanding having no value whatsoever without legally-binding running rights.
    However the railway has always struggled financially, and is clearly between the proverbial 'rock and a hard place'.

Andy

3. daddsie

daddsie New Member

From their website and under the title Aysgarth Ambitions, sub title Infrastructure:

'The railway is currently 22 miles long and when it reaches Aysgarth it will be 27 miles long – the longest standard gauge railway in the United Kingdom'.

Slightly ambiguous, I would suggest. :Happy: