If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Trier Dampfspektakel - 28 April - 1 May 2018

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Sir Nigel Gresley, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Sir Nigel Gresley

Sir Nigel Gresley Active Member

Retired Soldier of Fortune
    Initial details are here, unfortunately only in German, but nonetheless quite obvious.

The route used will be Koblenz - Trier - Saarbrücken, and on 30th April only; Trier - Koblenz - Brohl, with a trip up the metre-gauge Brohltalbahn to Engeln .
    [Edit]: Also Trier - Luxembourg and Trier - Gerolstein [I forgot to scroll down the menu!]

Excerpt from www.drehscheibe-online.de:

"Hier werden die Loks: 01 180 oder 03 1010, 18 478, 23 023 oder 23 058, 41 018, CFL 5519 und 50 2988 oder 52 8195 sowie E18 047 und V200 033 genannt". (oder = or)

The brochure says 9 locos, presumably this includes the metre-gauge loco on the Brohltalbahn , and whilst the original steam loco from this line is now serviceable, normally only diesels are allowed on the steep section from Oberzissen to Engeln.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A few more routes than just that. Trier - Luxembourg and Trier - Gerolstein are also featured.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Just studied the timetables and entered them into a spreadsheet. On the three busiest days there are 37 steam arrivals/departures at Trier Hauptbahnhof and that doesn't include ecs and light engine movements. Not bad.

4. BR 73082

BR 73082 Active Member

Looking to go over for this event. As someone who hasn't been to something like this before, where would be a good place to start (apart from Trier!)? What are the routes like in terms of gradients etc and what should I be looking to give priority to? No loco allocations (are they likely to be released?) so just looking to sketch out a rough idea of what to do.

I presume based on the fact they are selling day and event tickets with single train tickets to follow normal tickets for services along the same routes won't be valid?

Can't seem to find a PDF version of the timetable which they say is available which makes looking through the times a bit tricky!

5. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Hi,
    A similar event in the area ran in 2010 to mark 175 years of German Railways. IIRC a comprehensive booklet was produced with suggested photo locations and other info. I will be asking if a similar booklet will be produced this time. I'm racking my brains as to where we got the loco allocations from but we did have them. There was a freight Plandampf that followed on from the Dampfspektakel and it may have been the organisers of that who supplied allocations for the whole shooting match, again I will be asking this year's team about loco allocations. You will find it impossible to do everything each day so study the timetables and prioritise what you want to do on a daily basis. If you're not line siding you will stand a good chance of getting haulage by all locos over all routes over the four days of the event. It's a shame that steam doesn't go beyond Bullay this time as the most scenic pat of the Moseltal is between there and Koblenz.
    The steepest climbs we found were north of Gerlostein but sadly no trains beyond Gerolstein for this event. We didn't do the Trier - Saarbrücken section in 2010 so cannot comment on the topography of the line. Event tickets will be valid for normal service trains but not the other way round.
    I've put the times into a spreadsheet to give a detailed overview of the whole timetable. PM me with an e-mail address and I can send you a copy.
    We are staying in Kyllburg, about 50km north of Trier on the line to Gerolstein. Will mean an early start if we're to get the first train off of Trier but as it will pass within a hundred metres of our hotel, we can always catch it there.

6. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Update - I've delved further into the website and it says a brochure will be published soon and will contain info on the locos and their workings.