If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

That's one ticked off the bucket list!

Discussion in 'Everything else Heritage' started by Duty Druid, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Grashopper

Grashopper Member

Assistant FLeet engineer Southern Railway
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just thought I'd post a post a picture of my current project - A 1971 M151 A2 Medium Utility Tactical Truck (or MUTT) as built by AM General. It was the replacement for the replacement of the WW2 jeep, and started production began in the 1960s and ended in the early 1980s. Used extensively throughout the Vietnam war, and some evidence of a handful being used in Desert Storm campaign.

I helped a friend to restore this one about 10 years ago, then it passed to another chap I know from whom I acquired it last year. It basically been a lot of recommissioning and cleaning due to lack of use. Unfortunately the picture shows the side I haven't cleaned up yet, as it is normally parked hard up against the garage wall!

Attached Files:

2. The Saggin' Dragon

The Saggin' Dragon Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    Looks good. Wasn't there an issue with these vehicles handling at one time? The US Army would not release them for civilian use with their original suspension format?

3. Grashopper

Grashopper Member

Assistant FLeet engineer Southern Railway
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That was the M151 which could have the independent suspension units flip under the vehicle during hard cornering. There was then the M151 A1 version with revised suspension, then the version I have the M151 A2 with further revisions. A rare beast in preservation due to most being rendered unusable prior to release; in the early days they were cut in half, but people merely welded them back together. Later ones were cut diagonally but some were still repaired by private buyers, and later still they were diagonal cut and run over by heavy machinery. Even a couple of these have been restored!