If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Rother Valley Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage railways & Centres in the Uk' started by nine elms fan, Nov 4, 2012.

1. martin1656

martin1656 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Where is this coastal regeneration around Hastings ? oh, yes an desire to bring HS1 to Hastings , easier said than done Ms Rudd ;)

2. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Resident of Nat Pres

I always find those kinds of arguments unconvincing. The argument seems to be that roads generate economic activity. But it isn't the act of driving itself that is important, it is the improved access that roads afford to local businesses - including tourist businesses. If re-generation is going to come, a thriving tourist scene will be part of that. Viewed that way, assisting a developing tourist business would seem to me a higher priority for regeneration that simply enabling faster journeys between Hastings and London, but in the process stymieing a business hoping to develop in the local area ...

Tom

Wenlock and railrover like this.
  3. Robin White

Robin White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Maybe.

But the MPs' position is about votes, not (1) convincing argument or (2) business development in the commuter belt (unlikely to bring votes).

Robin

4. martin1656

martin1656 Part of the furniture

What sort of environmental and social effect would doubling the section of A21 create? Tonbridge to pembury has created a lot of delay in the time it has taken to build it, so i'm assuming that there would be a simular effect on traffic if this bit was to be doubled, and additional land would have to be purchased to allow for an additional section of road, i'm imagining that local road users won't welcome that either, but looking on the bright side, it may lead to a solution, if a new section of road were to replace the level crossing and roundabout, then there would be no problem caused to through traffic, only local traffic wich would still use the existing road .

5. 35B

35B Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Potentially significant. When I lived in NW Kent, it was significantly harder to get to places on the A21 corridor than most of the rest of the county. Given the levels of deprivation in that area generally, and in Hastings in particular, and the emphasis on better connections, the MPs responses are unsurprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Miff

Miff Well-Known Member

There is no such doubling proposal, and the MPs' objection (a very short letter written in 2014) reads to me as a vague objection in principle to anything that 'might' lead to delays on the A21 without considering whether it actually will. Almost as if they were going through the motions merely to satisfy a certain kind of voter.

Rosedale likes this.