If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NVR Wagon Group Updates

Discussion in 'Heritage rolling Stock' started by B17 61606, May 21, 2015.

1. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Part of the furniture

Layabout
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Fascinating, albeit a sad read - thanks for that. I shall be making a donation in due course :)

I have to say the wagons are the first things I look at on my visits: one that always gets my attention is the shock-absorbing wagon. There's a reason for this: I remember these wagons being loaded with bricks at the brickworks in Farcet and Yaxley when I was a child and more to the point, my elder brother actually used to be one of the people loading them when he worked for LBC at a summer job.

It wasn't unknown for a barrowload of bricks to become unbalanced and end up on the track having fallen down the gap in the loading bay; this would usually prompt severe words from the checker...

The other eye-catchers there are the CWS coal wagons - it would be great to see those done up one day although I can see that the priority is the express freight - trains I certainly remember on the ECML.

Sunnieboy likes this.
  2. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    @Big Stu, I have no problems with you providing updates, as and when.......

The van train is certainly growing, though I'm intrigued about what criteria are used to determine the tyre profiles & whether they pass or not!

Oh, and can we nick you SR brake?....... :)

3. big.stu

big.stu Member

Software Engineer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You're not the only one Dave! Tim posted this request on Facebook:

"CALLING ALL WAGON INSPECTORS

We have a wagon that has been pulled out of traffic due to tyre profiles. Our wagons are inspected to Network Rail standards as that is the only standards we have. This wagons tyres are only one millimetre under standard, but have nevertheless failed!

Does anyone out there have additional standards that we might adopt to allow this wagon to get back into traffic without a wheelset swap or tyre turning?

It is unlikely that this wagon will travel more than 100miles a year, so the current wheelsets should last for years if permitted to pass slightly relaxed standards."

If anyone has any useful input on that, feel free to PM me and I will pass it on...

Certainly..........not! ;)

4. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Part of the furniture

Layabout
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Had a look at some of the wagons today, which seem to be getting some paint on them :) Noticed a banana van as well for the first time, a type that always intrigued me as they were heated!

Also paid my respects to Mr. Foxwell at Yarwell.

Cullen and big.stu like this.