If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Yorkshire Moors Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage railways & Centres in the Uk' started by The Black Hat, Feb 13, 2011.

1. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just waiting for the outraged missive from the originator of this thread...... Belgium is even further away than Southern Railway territory!

The Black Hat, 5944, YorkyLad and 4 others like this.
  2. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Active Member

Defender of the Faith
    Fraid I might have to disappoint.

I'm curious as to how this engine will be working on the line and from what I have read it looks like a little niche is there for it. If that's the case then fine, and it will be interesting to see how it works and performs. For a novelty it certainly is different and certainly has character - I like the idea of it becoming a pet on the line and given some nice TLC alongside the larger engines that take up the role of the regular passenger workings.

Of course, it is foreign but as preservation has changed and evolved and engines found homes on areas they never used to run, it sees other engines turn up in new places. I think a Black 5 while previously foreign, has now become an adopted North East engine after the class has often been a bedrock to keeping the NYMR running. While I like engines such as Black 5s, Q6, B1 and the BR standards that are on the line, this engines place amongst these certainly throws up some character and novelty that I think adds an interesting and nice balance and brings benefits that outweigh the thinking of it not having regional links.

I have no doubt that others will welcome the S15 to join the likes of Repton returning to steam, even if these are designs I don't rate or like personally as I think theres others out there (even from other regions) that I think are (justifiably) better in comparison and why I take the stance of not liking these to be there. Yet, I have to admit, I'm interested to see WC 34101 Hartland to return as its an engine that defies that usual stance, but, this is just my usual preference and rather academic. Most people will be happy to have a ride on the line regardless of the engine.

There are not many engines that are small, adaptable and capable to do this role, but I'm sure that 'Lucie' will gain affection and interest on the line. Probably including mine...

3. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

It will not be the first "Foreign " vehicle to work on the NYMR.
    We already have something Dutch that is in use numerous times a year.
    Thurs 7th was its last operating date.