If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton and Barnstaple - Extension plans

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Old Kent Biker, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    deleted

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    SpudUk and 40044 like this.
  2. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

IS Project Manager
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The two aren't mutually exclusive, The L&B often purchases former trackbed as and when it becomes available, and has done since the 1970s. The current operation is concentrating on Phase 2a, but the new section will eventually be required for Phase 2b as the line makes its way back to Lynton. Phase 3 will be south from Whistlandpound...

SpudUk and Beckford like this.
  3. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

National Programme Officer and Project Manager
    I guess my question is more focused on what happens if Paracombe just isn't going to happen

4. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Active Member

Retired University professor
    Well, as noted earlier.... If the ENPA grant planning permission, and the TWAO is awarded with CP powers, then there's no problem. Problems only arise if any of these steps don't happen. There are some Plan Bs, I'm sure, but perhaps best not to speculate as to what they might be and unwittingly help those opposed to the railway?

ghost, Beckford and Old Kent Biker like this.
  5. jma1009

jma1009 Active Member

I think a degree of restraint of posting on this matter is advisable for quite awhile. I did report this to the moderators awhile back.

Let's just hold fire please!

Cheers,
    Julian

6. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Be careful what you post. Information taken from the Cambrian Heritage Railways' forum was quoted and used in an objection to the TWAO application. I would not like to see the same happen for the L & B. To negate the objection took time and valuable funds which could have been used to develop the railway. Think clearly before posting.

Adam-Box, Cullen, clam1952 and 5 others like this.
  7. Robin White

Robin White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Reinstatement of the L&B is a magnificent project which will enhance the area and the Park and allow this special area to be enjoyed by visitors with minimal impact on the area.

That will make progress by tackling the issues section by section in a sensible sequence, as the Railway’s overall plan makes plain. Thought, care and co-operative working will be necessary for progress. Hopefully, those who, regrettably, presently see the Railway as a threat can be won round.

Such progress will not be made by putting the sensible next section into the ‘too difficult’ Box.

Robin

8. Tobbes

Tobbes New Member

9. Greenway

Greenway Well-Known Member

I just perused the list of books available and there is an interesting choice - prices to suit all pockets. ;)
    It seems to me that we still have a few dark evenings left before the equinox, which will give lighter evenings, so another railway book could be very welcome.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 12:07 PM
  10. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Member

I sincerely hope that Keith Vingoe doesn't mind me quoting him, but this was too good not to flag up:

"It's official - we are now an award winning railway!

At the HRA Annual Awards Dinner held on the 10th February 2018 at the Burlington Hotel, Birmingham, The Morgan Award for Outstanding Achievements was awarded to the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway for our new-build loco LYN and her associated carriages. We always knew it - but now everyone else knows it too.

Our thanks to the Heritage Railway Association and to the editors of the UK's four main railway magazines, for making this award. But also, all our thanks to everyone who made this possible by efforts large and small in locations far and wide as well as the significant financial support from all those that contributed the necessary cash to build our £1.5m train set!"

KeithV