If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Ivatt Diesel Re-creation Society

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by MellishR, Feb 7, 2015.

1. 40044

40044 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  2. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Part of the furniture

Freelance photo - journalist
    Thank you Andrew for the posting; IMHO the only thing missing was (a) membership details for early members (especially sponsors) uncertain of their current membership status and (b) contact details for various officials. Doubtless these will appear on the website once updates have been applied.

3. 40044

40044 New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just off the phone after a lengthy conversation with our chief engineer Paul Etherington, who is certainly the man with the plan.
    In the next couple of weeks he is going to write out the plan of action for dismantling the 58.
    His preference would be for a team to assist in taking the whole thing apart, to the frame line, in one week or so. Clearly the planning will take a lot longer than the "doing".
    I look forward to seeing this process moving forward.

4. daveannjon

daveannjon Active Member

One thing you may have to consider is insurance, LMS Carriage Association volunteers working at Rowsley have to be Peak Rail members as we are then covered by their policy.

All Best
    Dave

40044 likes this.
  5. 30854

30854 Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    From minutes posted [#81] above:
    "Website management. The reason the Society seemed dormant lay with no recent, active information update on any aspect of the Society web pages. DK was tasked via Tony Ellershaw of Leicester to unlock the website and make the pages reflect latest developments. The meeting recognised that the media and the public were hungry for news [my italics].It was agreed the newsflow should not be left solely to the lively, enthusiastic chatter on Facebook."

On behalf of all us armchair lurkers watching the project: Hallelujah!

LesterBrown and andalfi1 like this.
  6. sir gilbert claughton

sir gilbert claughton New Member

retired

no -you're wrong - you really do wanna hear it thrashed. I still remember the deep throbbing bass of two Ivatts on the Royal Scot , running north thro Harrow .you could feel the sound waves hitting your chest .
    best diesels ever - unforgettable . - what I do forget is whether 10000 still carried its chrome number in the '50s .maybe someone can enlighten me - I think it did but...

the southern trio were ok but didn't have the presence and panache of the LMS pair

7. DisusedBranch

DisusedBranch Active Member

Both locos carried their raised metal numbers throughout their lives. When in green livery the numbers were painted white or off-white.

sir gilbert claughton likes this.