If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Frankenbardic ?

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by Snifter, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Snifter

Snifter Active Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As the nights draw in, I was thinking about upgrading my Bardic lamp to LED. There have been a few posts on this over the years however as technology in this area is moving at pace, has anyone done a seriously powerful upgrade recently ? Has anyone gone to 9 volts or more ? The good news is that modern LEDs seem to handle either polarity as Bardics were assembled for filament bubs where +/- didn't matter

2. TseTT

TseTT New Member

I fitted a LED replacement bulb for my lamp. Its similar to this. Ebay 272804638344. or search for LED torch bulb.
    Mine is the 1 watt version, there was a 0.5 watt version available, but sold out.
    A couple of drawbacks are that the colours are a little washed out and also when the battery runs low it just goes out without warning.
    There does seem to be a 3 watt version available now. That would, I assume really wash the colours out.
    However the lamp is really useful to actually see with now.

3. Snifter

Snifter Active Member

Thank you Mr TseTT,

Washout with the green filter is a bit of a problem, even with a normal bulb. I was on the footplate last Saturday night and the green lamp from the guard was a bit ambiguous at times, more like white with a green tinge. I did a bit of research and it appears that there is a translucent green paint that is compatible with the Perspex filters. Others have applied a coat to darken the green with good results. It is from Tamiya (code 81525 I think) and is a water based acrylic resin so will not damage the filter, in theory.

I think I have identified the best replacement LED bulb however the excellent folk at Maplins appear not to carry it as standard stock. I'll try to get hold of one and if it works, I'll post the details here.

As for the battery, a good boy scout always carries a spare.

4. 32110

32110 Member

Retired from full time paid work
    I have fitted a 3 watt Cree led. As you say the green is a bit washed out. On suggestions from others I used 2 coats of docfafts Artiste Aniseed Green transparent glass paint that I got from The Range.

5. Snifter

Snifter Active Member

Glass paint can contain solvents which may damage the plastic so beware. I understand that if the filter gets damaged then it's easier to find a new lamp than a filter.

6. 32110

32110 Member

Retired from full time paid work
    The paint I referred to in my post above is a water based glass paint so I don't think it will damage the plastic filter.