If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Edmonson tickets a lost "cause" for ever?

Discussion in 'Heritage railways & Centres in the Uk' started by steamdream, May 5, 2011.

1. Harleyman

Harleyman New Member

I am in 100% agreement here; though my hoard of old tickets for journeys/concerts/life etc is somewhat more sporadic and ruled by my untidiness and laziness as much as by any conscious desire to archive memories!:)

Exchanging the printed-out on-line voucher for a "real" ticket is realistically no different from exchanging one for cash or a credit card. Indeed, comparing it to the "real" railway it's probably even cheaper to use Edmonsons; a recent trip to my daughter's saw me being issued with enough cards to consider playing patience with them to while away the journey!

2. JohnDevon

JohnDevon New Member

That argument overlooks two things. First: once the deadline for posting tickets out passes, there is a need to continue selling on the web, and what arrangements get put in place?
    Second: I am reliably informed that some folk want to book tickets on line, quite often using a mobile phone, even when booking for a departure in 1/2 hour's time!
    It can all be overcome, given enough time and effort. For roll up customers, the Edmondson ticket must continue to be used as it is, as others have said, part of the heritage experience.

3. SR-Simon

SR-Simon New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    We still issue Edmondson ticket at Epping Ongar Railway, and you get one even if you buy online (we exchange your bar-code for a ticket at the window). We feel it is part of the "stepping back in time" for our visitors, both older and younger, both to have the ticket and to have it clipped. The ticket design is based on a LNER original, and the platform tickets are an exact copy of the GER platform tickets - even printed in two colours! (and well worth the £1.50)

We are even printing special LU150 tickets for the forthcoming LU150 event at EOR... watch this space!! :eek:)

Simon, GM, EOR

4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Resident of Nat Pres

I still don't see the problem. You need some physical token of your permission to travel (complicated way of saying "you need a ticket!"). If you buy it online at notice that is too short to have it sent out by post, you will need to queue up at a ticket office to obtain it, having proven that you have actually bought a ticket. Given that, no reason why it needs to be anything other than an Edmondson ticket for those lines that have the capability to produce them.

The issue of online booking of tickets is a red herring, IMHO. You need a physical ticket to demonstrate your permission to travel, and that ticket needs to be unique so it can only be issued once [sup]*[/sup]. But it can take any form that the railway chooses. If you buy at a ticket window - exchange your cash for an Edmondson. If you buy in advance online - receieve an Edmondson through the post. If you buy in advance at short notice - you have to queue up somewhere (e.g. at a ticket office) and exchange your receipt / booking reference number for an Edmondson ticket. So I don't see why online booking suddenly seems to preclude "traditional" tickets.

[sup]*[/sup]For example, to prevent potential fraud by people buying tickets at short notice, you would probably want to reconcile that the person claiming the ticket had both a reference number and was in possession of the card that had been used for teh purchase - that would stop several people trying to claim the same ticket on the same emailed receipt.

Tom

5. Andre

Andre New Member

K&ESR Commercial Manager
    We do not add any extra amount. The total fare paid by the customer (passenger!) is identical whether or not they choose to Gift Aid.

Day Rover £15.00

Day Rover with GA £15.00

The only difference is that the latter ticket results in the railway receiving an extra £3.75 from the taxman and the customers (passengers) ticket is valid for platform entry for 12 months (so they can easily come back to spend in the gift shop & buffet!)

Wenlock likes this.
  6. Chris Walton

Chris Walton New Member

Severn Valley still issues traditional Edmonson tickets.
    We do also use EPOS as an accounting and statisitical tool as an improvement to accounts office former paper based processes

7. Kje7812

Kje7812 Well-Known Member

In most ways it is a shame that the SVR doesn't send out Edmondsons for online booking (or it didn't if it's changed in the past 3 weeks or so), it's concert style ticket made from thin card (if you take that an Edmondson is quite thick really). If nothing else, the Edmondsons are easier to grip!

8. 40F

40F New Member

Edmonson tickets in use at the Amerton Railway, sequentially numbered and used as a check on sales recorded on the EPOS system. Printed by one of our members too, who prints for a wide variety of outlets, please PM me if contact details required.

9. ryan.hogg1890

ryan.hogg1890 New Member

Tanfield Railway use Edmonton tickets and I'm sure South Tynedale did last time I visited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk