If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Caledonian railway .

Discussion in 'Heritage railways & Centres in the Uk' started by 50044 Exeter, Dec 30, 2009.

1. 50044 Exeter

50044 Exeter New Member

Are there plans to extend the CR east of Bridge Of Dun in the future?

2. The Saggin' Dragon

The Saggin' Dragon Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Talking to people there some time ago; they did express a wish to extend back into Montrose, but there are some quite big chunks out of the trackbed in between. I do not know what the railways official line is on the matter.

3. Kingscross

Kingscross New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The trackbed beyond Bridge of Dun is complete as far as Hillside, in sight of the mainline. However, between Hillside and Kinnaber Junction a housing estate has been built, so there is no chance of a return to Kinnaber.

There is another possibility: from Dubton (the intermediate station between Bridge of Dun and Hillside), the (original) Caledonian Railway had a branch to Montrose which ran around the back of the town alongside the present-day golf course, terminating near the docks. Montrose Caley station still exists, converted quite tastefully to an old people's home. Although much of this formation has been built over or used for roads, the intial part is basically intact (Save 50 yards of missing low embankment) from Dubton Junction to the old underbridge where the Caledonian's line dived under the North British (ECML) route.

It would therefore be theoretically possible to extend the modern-day Caledonian Railway back to this point, doubling the length of its line to 8 miles. However, you would end up with a station next to an industrial estate on the Northern edge of Montrose with no Network Rail interchange and some distance from the town centre. Given the precious few volunteers at Brechin are fully comitted to maintaining and upgrading the existing four-mile section any extension is extremely unlikely to happen unless some massive funding suddenly gets awarded.

4. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

For many years a Carflat wagon, B745232, built on the underframe of BR Mark I CK 15778 has lain at Cleland on the Edinburgh - Glasgow Central route via Shotts. Apparently it has recently been removed and has reportedly found its way to the Caledonian Railway. Anyone able to confirm whether this is correct?

5. SomewhereintheSouthEast

SomewhereintheSouthEast New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Would they have their own station at Montrose?