If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Blue Pullman seat and Works Plate

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by Tony H, May 23, 2016.

1. Tony H

Tony H New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A genuine Blue Pullman seat and works plate require a good home. The seat and plate were salvaged from the units being scrapped in South Wales in the mid 1970's. The seat is in reasonable condition for its age, the fabric is slightly frayed in one corner. The reclining and backwards/forwards levers work. I am downsizing and would like to donate them to a preservation organisation that can use and display them, rather than just sell them. Note that the seat is very heavy (only BR could make cast aluminium that heavy!) and will probably require two people to move it. Although I carried it across the scrap yard at the time. The works plate is the small oval plate on the headstock - BR Metro-Cammell, Lot No 30557, 1959.

P5200237.JPG P5200241.JPG

The Saggin' Dragon likes this.
  2. Bluebell

Bluebell New Member

Director of Barry Rail Centre & Tourist Railway
    Hi Tony,
    We'd be interested in having the seat and works plate at the Barry Tourist Railway. We are restoring the class 101 trailer car that was converted into the Hebridean Observation Car. The coach came to us with no seats so it would be nice to include this Pullman seat in the coach, probably along with some Mk3 seats that we have - this would then be a good comparison of the development of modern train seats.
    On a personal note, it was always a regret that I didn't have enough pocket money as a youngster to travel on the Blue Pullman, so this would be about as near as I can now get to fulfilling that dream!
    John Buxton
    Director
    Barry Tourist Railway

3. 67379

67379 New Member

Memories of going in the cab of one near the end of it's life when visiting Old Oak Common shed as part of a school railway club trip that also went round Swindon Works - there and back from Cleethorpes in a (long) day! I remember being suprised to see a two ring electric cooker hob as part of the cab equipment in the former Blue Pullman.

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    It was standard equipment on first generation diesels. After all, the crews had lost the ability to brew and cook, which was always available on a steam loco.

5. D6332found

D6332found New Member

Hi Tony, did you ever dispose of the seat? Be nice to reunite railwayana related to the MAN engine we have as part of the story?