If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Avon Valley Railway Updates and Videos

Discussion in 'Heritage railways & Centres in the Uk' started by Corbs, May 15, 2013.

1. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture

Rolls-Royce aero engineer
    The Avon Valley Railway lies midway between two large cities. It's a crying shame that it doesn't attract a lot more visitors. I believe that one of the reasons is the railway's website. It is not good.
    The AVR Autumn Gala is just seven days away. It's excellent and the railway should fully promote the gala on their website to attract as many punters as possible. News of the gala should be splashed across their home page so that potential visitors know all about it.

Some very good locomotives have visited the railway over the years but only too often I've only found out when cycling past the shed. Come on AVR, get your website to a better standard. <BJ>

2. toplight

toplight New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have only travelled along the line once at a Santa event, although I did visit their cafe and have some food more recently mid week. I was surprised how good it was. I booked it for me and family all online on their website and it was well organised. We arrived a bit late just before the train was due to depart, but they had our tickets all ready in the ticket office and we were able to just collect them and jump on. The present for our son was nice too. The station at Bitton is nice with a nice cafe that is open mid week so presumably they must get quite a bit of revenue from it.

One thing it does lack though it that the stations at either end, Avon Riverside and Oldland common are just a platform and run round loop so there is nothing to see there if you get off and most people don't. That is why I think extending to Warmley would be a good thing as it would given them a destination that they could gradually restore as it was. The Signal box at Warmley has been restored already by the local council. See a video about it here

An original station building opens as a cafe at Warmley although it was closed when I went and the platforms are there. Only the Level crossing, footbridge and track are missing so it could be developed into a real gem.
    One thing I did notice with the yard at Bitton is how exposed it is as the cycle track runs right next to it with only a small fence separating so I bet they are worried about theft and vandalism. There was a nicely restored 08 diesel parked right next to the cycle track looking very 'exposed' to the local "youth". They should really be looking to get an undercover shed. It is a railway with lots of potential

3. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz New Member

Freelance Camera Op/Editor
    Bath is a more attractive option for the railway, as nice as Warmley is, and how much of the station remains, getting to Bath would open up a much bigger revenue stream than going to Warmley would. In that case, ploughing X amount of money into getting us to Warmley would almost be a wasted effort without the connection to Bath already in place, especially when a hefty seven figure sum is needed to get us to Bath in the first place! With Warmley a further 1.3 miles up the cycle path, while the site of the former Kelston station is just under 1 mile further on from Avon Riverside (and no road crossings), heading towards Bath certainly looks like the simpler option as well!

Covered accommodation is certainly something else we'd like, but again it all comes down to money (when doesn't it!). If anyone would be kind enough to donate us the money towards this (and many of our other future projects!) we'd be most grateful!!!

Now much closer in the future, we are very much looking forward to putting on a good show at our Autumn Gala next weekend (Nov 4th/5th). We'll have four locos in action, with our main visiting loco in the form of 'Bellerophon', alongside fellow well tank 'Willy The Well Tank', as well as WD132 'Sapper' and 4015 'Karel'! The usual intensive service of passenger and goods trains, this year supplemented by Brake Van rides for £5 which gets you a full 6 mile round trip, as well as Driver-For-A-Tenner with 'Willy' at points during the day, and finally footplate rides still available on our home fleet locos (Sapper & Karel) for £30 which includes your day rover ticket for the day as well available HERE! We hope you can join us!

4. Kingscross

Kingscross New Member

It was a decent gala, Bitton felt busy. You might be wise to charge for platform tickets though, the station looked considerably busier than the trains! I picked up the most recent issue of the society magazine and there's stuff about planning for the Bath extension, so it's clearly still a live idea. One the missus has finished having children I'd like to get involved.

SpudUk likes this.
  5. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz New Member

Freelance Camera Op/Editor
    The Fry's Sentinel is on course to return to steam next year after an extensive restoration, but we need a train for it to pull! And to combat this we are currently restoring a BR 20 Ton Brake Van to run with the Sentinel, but funds are still needed to finish the job! We currently have an Aviva Community Fund page where you can vote for projects which you think are deserving of receiving some much needed funds towards their goal. If you'd like to help support the project and see this Brake Van returned to its former glory alongside the Sentinel, then consider going to the link below, registering, and then casting all 10 of your potential votes towards The Chocolate Train. The more votes we get, then the more money we can get! Thank you!

https://community-fund.aviva.co.uk/voting/project/view/17-3937

6. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

7. horace

horace Member

Corbs likes this.